Sunday, 17 February 2013
Soho in those days was a working market with cow sheds, a slaughter house and grease-boiling dens, with all the associated waste flowing through the drains and under the cellar floors.
Snow, an anaesthetist who lived in the area worked out that the water pump was the source of the disease killing everyone. What alerted him, was that none of the employees of the local brewery caught cholera. Their wage packet included free beer so they were the only group not drinking water.
However the local vicar insisted it was god not water that was the cause of the 500 deaths. The frustrated Snow finally broke the handle off the pump rendering it useless. The outbreak ended.